Vital Source Faculty Resources
When you go into your book for the first time, you will see this banner at the top of the book: “Want to download books to read offline? Just finish configuring your account.” Click on the banner and when the prompt for a bookshelf account appears, choose “no.” You will then be taken to a screen that will allow you to create your Bookshelf ID.
You can only have one VitalSource bookshelf account tied to your HCT login. If you make an account separate of this and use it to log into the downloadable app, you won’t see any books in your account.
If this happens, contact support for an account merge. You’ll keep the account that is tied to your classroom account and you can update your email and password as needed.
If you recently had an account merge or you changed your email login, you may need to do the following:
- On your PC go to the following folder: Documents > My Books > VitalSource Bookshelf > User Data
- Delete the following files: License.vbk, License.vbk.bck, and Preferences
- Launch Bookshelf.
- Sign in with your email address and password
- On your Mac go to the following folder: Home folder > Books > VitalSource Bookshelf > User Data
- Delete the following files: License.vbk and License.vbk.bck
- Launch Bookshelf.
- Sign in with your email address and your password
You can update your Bookshelf account information by going to https://online.vitalsource.com/home/signin and signing in with your username and password. Go to My Account and choose My Account. You can update your email address, name, password, and security question.
You’ll see an expiration date the first time you access your content. That’s because that date is for drop/add. Once you pass drop/add and you are still enrolled in your class, your content will get an updated expiration. And if you decide that this course isn’t for you, you will no longer have access and you won’t have to pay for the book.
Go to the side navigation pane and click on All Titles. If you see a green cover with an exclamation mark double click to start the download.
If you don’t see your book you might have made multiple accounts. Check the account you used to sign into the bookshelf by going to Accounts > My account.
If your account is correct, go to Accounts > Update Book List. Check All Titles again for your book.
If none of these resolves your issue, contact support for assistance.
- Go to bookshelf.vitalsource.com to download the latest version of the bookshelf
- If prompted, please save the file to your desktop. Double click to launch. If you chose to Run then you’ll automatically go to the setup menu
- Please follow the on screen instructions to download your bookshelf
If you to support.vitalsource.com and view our tutorials!
- Go to bookshelf.vitalsource.com and get the latest version of the bookshelf
- Double click to open the .DMG file
- Once you open the file, you’ll get a mounted disk image (looks like a white memory card reader). Double click to open
- Drag the bookshelf icon to the applications folder as directed in the dialogue box
- When you’ve installed the bookshelf, be sure to eject the mounted file from your finder
- Make sure you meet the minimum specs of iOS 5.0 or later
- Go to the App Store on your device and search for VitalSource
- Tap on the “Free” button to begin the install. You may need to sign in with your Apple ID
- Once the application has downloaded to your screen, please tap it. Sign in with your VitalSource email address and password
- Make sure you are running 2.2 (Froyo) or higher. To locate your version of Android, tap on Settings and tap on About Tablet/Phone. Your version will be listed under Android Version.
- Go to the Google Play market and download the application.
- Once it has downloaded to your screen, please tap on it. Sign in with your email address and password
If you receive a machine authorization limit message, please go to http://support.vitalsource.com/kb/vbs-ts/maximum-number-of-activations-error and use the “deauthorization tool.”
Please go to https://online.vitalsource.com/home/signin and sign in with your username and password. Go to My Account and choose My Account. You can update your email address, name, password, and security question.
If you have forgotten your password, please click on the Forgot your password link. A password reset email will be sent to account registered with VitalSource.
If you are receiving an error message when you try to download your book, please try the following:
- Switch to an Ethernet connection
- Try a different network
- Run software updates
- Uninstall the bookshelf, reboot your computer, and reinstall from http://support.vitalsource.com/kb/vbs-ht/download-the-latest-version-of-vitalsource-bookshelf
If the above does not resolve your issue, please contact our help desk.
- From your computer go to BbLearn.
- Go to ‘Course Tools’ under the Course Management area of your section.
- Choose the ‘Bookshelf’ option. From the options available on the right hand pane of their Bb Learn Section, select ‘Refresh Bookshelf Content and eTextbook’. Click ‘SUBMIT.’
- Access the ‘eTextbook’ link from your Course Menu. Tap on the eText title (which will open using the Bookshelf Online).
- Switch to Vital Source’s native Bookshelf app on their iPad.
- Sign-in to this native Bookshelf app on their iPad using the same registration details (i.e. HCT email ID and password) they used to sign-up for the very first time using the Bookshelf Online via the browser.
- Once they are in the native Bookshelf iPad app, they should see the same eTextbook (Complete IELTS) OR they can use the option of ‘update booklist’ in the native Bookshelf iPad app to update their Bookshelf and view the recently added/accessed eText titles.
- If the book doesn’t appear despite all of the above please confirm to eTexthelp@hct.ac.ae (with the relevant section/teacher details)
We have agents available 24/7 to assist you by phone and by chat.
The link for our chat is available at https://chat.perceptis.com/c/vitalsource/
The phone number is 1-855-200-4146
- One sheet – Tips and Tricks
- Quick Start Guide (Brief)
- Quick Start Guide (Detailed)
- Quick Start Guide (Online – Detailed)
- Mobile Training Guide