An eTextbook has exactly the same content as a printed textbook, delivered in electronic form over the Internet. It has the same chapter divisions and the same page numbering.
eTextbooks offer many advantages over printed textbooks:
- They are cheaper.
- You do not have to carry them around.
- They are much better for the environment.
- With an eTextbook, you can do full text searches, take notes, highlight text, print pages, copy selections and paste them into documents of your own.
- They can be read on any internet-connected computer, or even when you are offline.
Blackboard and Pearson have created an integrated solution that combines the proven results of the MyLab/Mastering programs with the power of Blackboard Learn. Now, Blackboard and Pearson are working together to meet client expectations for a single, online course experience with grade transfer. This integrated solution is available to institutions around the world including Higher Colleges of Technology.
Learn more about Pearson publisher integration at HCT:
About the Pearson and Blackboard Learn integration at HCT
Blackboard and Pearson have joined forces to help Higher Colleges of Technology (and other similar institutions across the world using Blackboard Learn LMS) to meet the demands of our next generation of learners. Ubiquitous access, flexibility and dynamic digital content are the new thresholds for learners’ expectations. That’s why HCT is leveraging this technology platform as a commitment to continually drive the print-to-digital transformation.
With improved design and additional features, the Pearson integration continues to improve and enhance the teaching and learning experience at HCT:
- Pearson’s MyLab/Mastering Building Block provides direct access to Pearson’s MyLab/Mastering courses within Blackboard Learn, creating a powerful learning experience:
- Single sign-on provides convenient access to Pearson’s MyLab/Mastering content.
- Direct links to Pearson’s MyLab/Mastering content create a single course experience for instructors and students.
- Gradebook transfer allows instructors to decide which grades they want in Blackboard Learn, consolidating all course grades in one place.
- Pearson’s MyLab/Mastering tools page enables instructors and students to easily manage the integration and quickly access the help and support they need.
- Compliance with student privacy standards such as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) ensures student data is protected and secure.
MyLab/Mastering deliver engaging, dynamic learning opportunities – focused on instructor’s course objectives and responsive to each student’s progress – that are proven to help students absorb course material and understand difficult concepts. Blackboard’s online teaching and learning platform, Blackboard Learn, helps HCT instructors make learning more effective in and beyond the traditional walls of the classroom.
Some program areas (e.g. Business) have courses that are using a template which has modular and advanced integration of learning content structure. This type of modular delivery ensures students are delivered chapter at a time learning content depending upon how the faculty and course leaders have designed the delivery structure of the materials. These courses are single sign on authentication for faculty and students who seamlessly move between their course management system (Blackboard Learn) and Pearson’s MyLab platform to access their teaching and learning resources respectively.
Faculty/Students facing any eTextbook related issues with the Pearson platform can do either of the following:
- Contact their local campus Ed Tech/eText support help for quick resolution IF the query is in relation to the Bb Learn platform.
- If it is a content specific issue such as queries on course materials relating to a specific course (e.g. BUS 1303), faculty should contact the system-wide Course Leader.
- Pearson support for direct communication is available through firstname.lastname@example.org for Pearson platform specific related queries.
(NEW*) Pearson’s escalation workflow for eText/Platform issues.